Monday, August 31, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Characters I Just Didn't Click With



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's Top Ten Topic is "Ten Characters I Just Didn't Click With". Oh, man. I don't think I'm going to come up with ten. I'll do my best.




Nyx, Ignifex and pretty much everyone in Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge.

I know, unpopular opinion here. I just did not like or connect with any of the characters in this book, they were all horrible people. I loved the writing and the world-building, but I hated the characters. Sorry.



Twylla from The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury.

Twylla was so blinded by her beliefs and what she'd been told that she never questioned anything. She was gullible.



Tris from the Divergent series, particulary in Allegiant.

I really liked the first two books, but Tris made me so mad in Allegiant. Good lord, girl! Death is not the only way to achieve bravery! And why so jealous? Don't get me started.




Tella from Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott.

She was just very shallow and immature.




Kestrel from The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

I honestly don't remember all the reasons I didn't click with her. I just know I didn't.




Juliette from the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi.

She ended up annoying me. And Warner? Really?




Zoey Redbird from The House of Night series.

I actually liked the first few book in this series, but Zoey become annoying and her choices became very, very questionable. I stopped at book 6.



Juneau from After the End by Amy Plum.

I really didn't connect with her. She should have been more shocked at the things around her.



All of the characters in Rooms by Lauren Oliver.

I usually LOVE Lauren Oliver and her characters. I just couldn't connect with anyone in this book.




Fire from Fire by Kristin Cashore.

Ok, I didn't click with her, but I really want to go back to this book and re-read it to see if it was just me. I LOVED Graceling, so Fire deserves another chance.


Hey! That's ten! Actually, more than ten!

What characters did you have a hard time connecting with?

----------------
<3 Michelle

17 comments:

  1. I agree with Zoe from House of Night. I made it one further than you and stopped after book 7. And seriously what was with her and always drinking "brown pop". It just sounds gross. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Tris on my list this week and I haven't even read the third book yet!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same reaction to Fire loved Graceling though. By book four Zoey Redbird had me so annoyed that I had to stop. You hung in longer than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoey gets better & the friends get more story time. I think grandma is the best. I'm on 9. But there was a lot of "really?" thoughts in the middle. I don't know if I could've hung in there without the island of hot Scottish kilt guys though. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh too many faves here! I can't look! ;)

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nooooo!! I loved Cruel Beauty!! :'( But we can't all love everyone! I agree with you about After the End! Juneau was infuriating!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh Tris. I couldn't stand her in Insurgent. It still pains me to think about it haha.

    Thanks for stopping by our TTT!
    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nyx and Tris made my list this week too^^ I actually like Tris in Divergent but I think I was still riding my Hunger Games hangover at the time and desperate for anything similar to fill the void. She drove me batty in Insurgent and then well in Allegiant she got ever worse. UGH. Great picks this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only one I enjoyed was The House of Night series, but I lost interest once the series hit book 8 or 9. I didn't post a meme today, instead, I posted a HUGE list of September new releases. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tris was really irritating in Allegiant! I agree with you on that part. This is a great post! :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost put Rooms on my list too. Although I thought the book was really interesting, I didn't really connect with any of the characters. None of them were really personable, so it was probably on purpose that we didn't click, but still, I like stories better when I have a clear person I relate to. Thanks for stopping by my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly, out of your choices, I've only read the Divergent series. Tris... mmm, I didn't click with her either, but I did like her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tella has to be one of the worst characters I've ever seen in a book. I had looked forward to the series which sounded so good but having that dumb useless girl as our heroine....no, I DNF'd the book! I mean who in a survival race proudly tells strangers she wants to team up with that her greatest skill is that she can make her friends laugh hard enough to wet themselves???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I felt the same way about Shatter Me...

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to Zoey. I had to stop reading those books. Man she drove me nuts.
    I also wasn't a fan of Cruel Beauty or the Winner's Curse - I don't think I connected with the characters at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to Zoey. I had to stop reading those books. Man she drove me nuts.
    I also wasn't a fan of Cruel Beauty or the Winner's Curse - I don't think I connected with the characters at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, you were right about some of the choices making me sad :) Kestrel, poor Kestrel (I actually agreed with you, especially in the beginning of the first book!) Twylla for sure, though I DO get it. And Tella gets MUCH better, thank goodness. And while I did like After the End a lot, I DO agree with you about Juneau. I was not happy with that part of the book either. And YES to Tris in Allegiant! The hell, girl? Juliette was NOT my favorite in Shatter Me, but she grew on me. She's no Kenji though ;) I really do love your list, shockingly!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete