Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Gates of the Arctic by Shelena Shorts


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine to spotlight upcoming books.


This week, I can't wait to read...


Gates of the Arctic by Shelena Shorts


Release date: December 10th, 2015
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing
Goodreads link: (click here)

Description from Goodreads:

In a time when a pandemic is threatening the entire population, Risa and her family apply for coveted acceptance into a new Safe City— a place designed to keep the virus out and to preserve a select few of the population. 

But getting accepted into the city may not be worth it. Especially when she is sedated for secure transport and wakes up, unable to find her family. No matter how wonderful the city claims to be, Risa can’t help but focus on the fact that she’s being kept in while the people she cares about are missing.

Meeting a few new friends and an intriguing soldier named Camsen Luck may help, but none of them can convince her that self-preservation is more important than finding her family; or that trying to escape is suicide.

In a thought provoking novel, Gates of the Arctic challenges how far people will go to protect themselves in a time of crisis and questions the meaning of true freedom.


Why I'm excited:

First of all, I love Shelena Shorts! I adore her writing and her truly unique stories. I am SO excited to read a new book from her!


If you haven't read or heard of her other books, I HIGHLY recommend checking out her Pace series:



The Pace series is a wonderful story that blends paranormal elements with science. It has crazy plot twists, adventure and epic romance. Lands Atlantic is a smaller publisher, so you'd most likely have to order these from any online retailer (Amazon, B&N, Books-A-Million, Indiebound, etc).


BUT, back to Gates of the Arctic! I can't wait to see what Shelena has in store with this dystopian book! It sounds like it has a sci-fi feel to it, too. I'm sure it's going to be exciting and I'm sure it's probably blow my mind at some point (like she usually does). 


So, yeah...come on December!!



What are you waiting to read?

----------------
<3 Michelle

26 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I've never heard of her, but those covers are gorgeous and The Pace series is intriguing. I will have to check them out! :) Thanks for the recs! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel cold for the gal in that cover. Ouch! Even if it is not freezing, it cannot be comfortable being covered like that. It does make for a standout photo. Happy Reading! ~Beth @ Perpetual New Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I've never heard of this author before so thanks for the recs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick! This is my first time hearing about this author. Her works do sound very interesting!

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this book but sounds good! The cover and title sure go perfectly with each other LOL.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey this sounds good- I'm kind of a sucker for stories about domed cities and safe havens and stuff like that. Wonder why they separated her... hmm. Have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds quite interesting.

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog earlier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really interesting to see how they deal with the character's loyalty over all the struggles that she seems like she endures in this book. Great pick and I hope you enjoy it when it's out ;P

    Sherry@ theBloggityBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally new to me and this sounds great! Thanks for sharing!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I've not heard of this one, Michelle. I hope you enjoy this book when you read it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fantastic day :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh nice! That's totally new to me as well! hope you enjoy it once you get to read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooohhh this one sounds so intriguing! Hope you enjoy it :)

    Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

    Patrick @ The Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely sounds interesting and usually I'd be a bit worried but you say she's done well with blending sciencey things in the past so I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, great cover.. This is the first time I heard about Shelena Shorts, I think I might have to actually check out the Pace first.. :) Great Pick Michelle.. Thanks for visiting my Blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not heard of this one but it sounds pretty good. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read anything by this author yet but this book sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't heard of this or the author before, but this one does sound good! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! And thanks for stopping by my WOW earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard of this one. But the synopsis is really intriguing. I'll definitely have to check it out! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read anything from Shelena Shorts yet. I'll check out the Pace series.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will definitely be checking out her Pace series! Thanks for stopping by my blog today:)

    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it when there is a new series or new book coming out. This one looks good- hope you like it as much as you did her other series!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read anything by this author, but this book looks awesome! The cover is gorgeous!!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome choice. This one is new to me but sounds interesting. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved her other series!!! I'm not a huge dystopian fan, though. The cover is really pretty! Hope you get it when December rolls around :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh, I didn't realize this was the same author as The Pace! I've had that on my TBR for AGES, because it sounded so cool! :) Great pick!!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  26. Didn't know she had a new one out! I (admittedly) have only read up to The Broken Lake, so I still have to finish the series (honestly, I totally forgot about them, oops.)

    ReplyDelete